Novell Netware v2.2 Server Install Guide
Written by Jason John Schwarz
- Step 1 - Backup Disks
- You should make disk copies of the SYSTEM-1, SYSTEM-2, OSEXE, and WSGEN diskettes because the install procedure will write to them.
- Step 2 - Configure Server
- Boot the server off of a floppy disk. Once booted to DOS, insert the SYSTEM-1 disk in the disk drive, and type INSTALL. Once the Install program has begun, select "Advanced Installation" from the menu. A configuration menu will appear where you will select the "Operating System Mode" by pressing enter while the highlighted bar is on this selection. Normally Netware v2.2 is used for a Non-dedicated server, so we will select this.
Next, you will select the "Nondedicated network address". The default number used for consistency is 00000001 (7 zeros). You must also select for this machine to be a server from the list of options.
Once this is completed you will configure the network card. The standard choice is the NE200 card, with IRQ 2 and I/O Base 300 (choice 4). This card should be given network address 00000002 (7 zeros). You will not need to do anything for the remaining "Network Board" choices unless you have installed multiple network adapter cards.
Next it is necessary to configure the channels for the hard disk drive controller. The standard choice for the driver is "Industry Standard ISA". You should normally use choice 0 for the configuration. You may leave all other channel options alone unless you have installed multiple hard disk drive controllers.
- Step 3 - The Disk Swap
- You will be prompted to insert a number of disks in odd order. You should use the backup copies of the disks you created in Step 1.
- Step 4 - Testing the Hard Disk Drive
- When the ZTEST screen appears, press <ENTER> to begin the testing. Select the hard disk drive to test, and answer YES at the test box. WARNING -- THIS PROCEDURE ERASES EVERYTHING ON THE HARD DISK DRIVE BEING TESTED. Assuming the drive passes the test, you can test any other drives using the same procedure or press <F-10> to continue in installation.
Once you continue the installation, you will be prompted to insert floppies by Novell so that it may load the necessary operating system files.
- Step 5 - Finish server install
- Next you will be placed at another configuration screen where you will name the server. Make sure that the server has a unique and descriptive name. Once you give the server a name, accept all other defaults.
- Step 6 - Build workstations and server boot file
- You should now run WSGEN, on another computer, from a COPY of the original diskette. This will generate the IPX.COM file needed for the workstations. You must run the IPX.COM and one of the NET.COM files (either NETx.COM, EMSNETx.COM, or XMSNETx.com) to connect the workstation to the network. You may also decide to use the newer BNETx.com file to support both regular and burst mode transmissions for increased throughput.
You will need to copy the IPX, a version of NET.COM (NETx or BNETx recommended) to a bootable DOS floppy. You must also copy the NET$OS.EXE file from the OSEXE disk to this same disk. Finally you will need the SETVER.EXE program if you are running DOS 6.0 or above.
Next you must create the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files on the bootable DOS floppy so that the server can boot. Sample CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files are shown below.
Insert this disk in the server once completed and boot the server. Your server is now ready to run.
SAMPLE - CONFIG.SYS
SAMPLE - AUTOEXEC.BAT